Saturday, August 8, 2009

kindergarten....

Thatcher started kindgergarten last week... really it makes me a little teary eyed just looking at these pictures. I don't know how he went from this,
to going to kindergarten in such a short amount of time!

It was such a fun day for him, and he was ready. But walking around the school with him, he seemed so small, too small for that enormous school. I didn't think I'd be sad, but he kept squeezing my hand and telling me not to let go. But I had to...
He was super excited to get his own tote tray and seating assignment. And couldn't wait to meet his new friends.
This was the last picture I took of him as I was slowly backing out of the classroom. I was one of the last parents to leave, and he kept saying, bye mom.... it's ok, you can leave now. I really never thought I would be that broken up about it....but as I was walking down the hall, the tears just started flowing. I have no control over what happens to him at school, what if he gets hurt? What if he gets lost? What if someone is mean to him? What if he has to use the bathroom that is WAY down the hall?
They had a "boo hoo" brunch for all the moms who were dropping off their kids at kindergarten, and were handing out tissues and hershey's kisses. I needed like three tissues and had more than one person ask me if I needed a hug. BUT, I was not the only one! Really it shouldn't be this hard to send your kid to kindergarten, and I am not the type to cry! But it's a huge milestone and I'm glad it's over with.We had some balloons and a congratulatory cake waiting for him when he got home. It's a big step!! He did awesome of course, and couldn't wait to go back the next day.
We are so proud of you Thatch!!

6 comments:

Jami said...

A "Boo Hoo Brunch"! That is so cute! I bawled when I took Wyatt to kindergarten, and it seems like it was just yesterday! I cried a tiny bit when Emma went, but not nearly as much as Wyatt.

Good for you, Mom! You're awesome!

Buck & Ashley Higgs said...

I can't believe that Thatcher is in the big K! Holy cow! I love that they had a "Boo Hoo" luncheon for the moms! Awesome! Well I am glad you survived the 1st day!

The Garners said...

That child is just so cute...and the diaper picture...man!! Cuter that the whole earth!!

I'm sorry you cried April. It really is so sad! I know he'll do awesome, and be the most popular kid in class. And if big kids bully him in the bathroom....he knows how to aim it at them....right?

Molly L. Phillipps said...

If you think that was bad, you just wait until Kindergarten graduation!!!!!! That's where I lost it even worse.

Emily K. said...

You are such an awesome mom! I never thought to have cute balloons and a cake for my kids. Where were you 6 years ago when I had my first kindergartner?!

Chanda said...

Ohhh, April. I feel your pain. I could have used a boo hoo brunch.