Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Newest Allred


So, I am sitting here in a hospital room, looking at my new son. In my desire to share him with the world, I have decided to start a blog. That way I can post pictures, stories, or just give my random opinion on things that probably don't matter.

Yesterday was a crazy day. We knew that we would be going into the hospital to have a baby. They told us to call in at 6:30 am, and they would let us know when to come in. We called at 6:30...they told us to call back at 7:00. We called back at 7:00...they told us they would call us back and let us know when to come in, but that it would probably be before 9:00. Well, they called us at 8:45 and told us to come right in.

We got here at 9:45 and they admitted April right away. They started to induce her around 11:00 am and by 11:05, April was having contractions. 12:30 was the epidural and at 1:30 they broke her water. The epidural was working great until about 2:20 when it just went away. April was feeling her contractions and was in tears from the pain. The crappy part was, that I couldn't do anything to remedy the situation.

Our nurse Wendy came in around 2:35, and saw how much pain April was in, and then went immediately to get the anesthesiologist. He came in and gave April a direct injection (which didn't work), then another one that was supposed to work quicker (it didn't.) April was feeling everything, and by this time the baby had dropped. April was screaming bloody murder by this point, and her Doctor was not at the hospital yet, so the resident OB doctor got ready to get this kid out. Dr. Johnson came in right at about 2:55 pm, by this time April was about ready to pass out from the pain, and he delivered the baby with one push from April.

I will tell you right now, this had to be the scariest 25 minutes of my life. My wife was dying (or so she kept screaming at me) and I couldn't do anything about it...nobody could. But the amazing thing is that as soon Luke came out, the pain went away immediately.

Our boy came into this world with a blast. He is a cute little man, with blonde/red hair, 7 lbs 6 oz and has made us very very happy.


2 comments:

Chrissy said...

Thatcher is so big now! Congrats on your new little boy!

Shawn, Em, Spencer and Ty said...

I realize that this is a little late in the commenting but I had no idea that you had a blog. You need to send it to my email, so I can check it because Shawn doesn't tell me things like this. April I can't believe that you had to do natural child birth. What's worse is that I didn't know that until now. Ok, probably the natural child birth was worse. I am glad you survived and we will hopefully talk to you guys soon!

Em