Monday, January 28, 2008

So I just finished with the Twilight series last week... I know, I know, I'm like the last person on the planet to read these books. Seriously the only way for me to sum up what I thought of the books is to compare them to part of a stand up routine by Brian Regan (who is hilarious by the way). He talks about going to a charity dinner where he has to pay $1,000 a plate. While digging into his dinner, the waiter comes by and asks him how his meal is. He responds by saying "oh its good... but it's not a thousand dollars good". Because seriously, what meal could attain the kind of culinary deliciousness to be worth $1,000? That's kind of the way I feel about the books. They had such a build up, everyone I talked to (literally EVERYONE) for months mentioned how amazing these books are and how they are addicting and nothing can compare to the literary ingeniousness of these books. So I thought, Hmm, maybe I should read them. After everything was read and done :) , the only thing I could think was , they're good, just not $1,000 good. Nothing could be as good as I had heard and built up in my mind that they would be. I'm sure that had I read them at the same time as everyone else and not known much about them then I would have the same opinion. But nothing can measure up to that kind of expectation. So all that is left for me to say is that they are good! I liked them, and I will admit to them being slightly addictive. Of course I am excited for the next one to come out and will for sure read that one and others that follow. Who wouldn't be curious to follow the saga of Bella and her twisted love for a vampire and a werewolf?


I have also checked out the Stephenie Meyer website to see who they have cast as Edward, and I'm not quite sure what to think of him. When I saw the picture before I found out that he played Cedric Diggory on Harry Potter I thought he could work, that could be Edward. But now I'm not so sure. The movie will be interesting to say the least! What do you think?

8 comments:

Ashley said...

If it makes you feel any better, I just finished them a couple of weeks ago. It is addicting, but then when we were finished reading them, it was more of a, That's iT! reaction. By the way, when are we going to hang out????

Chris & Wendi said...

congrats on reading 3 books at all. Most Americans don't read 1 book in a whole year. Great blog, by the way. Hopefully we'll be joining you guys in the parent department this year and we can start one of these too. We're in the middle of the adoption process so if you know anyone looking to place let us know.

Brooke Bowen said...

not a great Edward choice but I'm hoping he pulls it off!

Mejkin said...

i think he's a great edward choice.

i read the first two books over the christmas break, but couldn't get myself excited for the third. my two main complaints are:

1. stephanie's writing is so juvenile. i don't swallow the tired excuse that "this is young adult literature." it's a cop-out. i've read plenty of well-written YA lit.

2. the climaxes to the first two books weren't climaxes at all--in the first she passes out, and in the second they all just have a nice chat in an ancient vampire feeding room (with a drain in the middle of the floor).

stephanie does, however, offer compelling storylines--or at least the possibilities of compelling storylines. she never quite pulls the compelling to the point of satisfaction.

if book three had been the last, i would have read it just to finish off the experience. however, since there are more to come i think i'll have to quit here.

Whitney said...

I'm way behind everyone! I'm still working on book #2 and I probably shouldn't have read your blog cause I had no idea Jacob was a warewolf! I preferred Stephanie Meyers choice for Edward over Cedric (don't know his real name). But I think he'll do a good job!
-Whitney

Maile Evans said...

This is so funny! What basic reading for adults. Anna and I read all three books in less than a week, probably because we wouldn't finish them if we didn't. Entertaining but when the main character is such a whiner it's abnoxious. Mat you should do a review and find a book that we would appreciate!

Blondie said...

You crack me up, and a big fat WHATEVER on the Twilight Series to you!! Those books got me into reading, which is awesome. You rock and I'll chat w/ you soon.

Saders

The Gatherum Family said...

Hello April HAWKINS!
I found your blog via Sadie's and just had to say hi. Your family is darling. Hope all is well. Our blog address is gatherumfamily.blogspot.com. Talk to you later! Adrian (Thomas) Gatherum